Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Ducks, the Hard Way...

Duck season in our state is quickly coming to a close. With these freezing temperatures all across the midwest and through to  the gulf coast, we can only hope those birds up north fly a little further south and end up in our marshes and bayous. We've done things the hard way, wading through the mud at ungodly hours to throw out decoys and hide in the marsh grass. Paddled pirogues and kayaks around in freezing temperatures only to miss a few gimme shots on some blue winged teal flying right at us. All I can say is that I love it. I love being there for sunrise and watching the morning flights of birds. It's a different kind of satisfaction to give a flock of birds a quack and see them all turn and dive right in on your decoy spread. I'm going to scout a few more spots before our season closes for the year. I'm going to miss these mornings when they are gone.